Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hey kiddo, it's me, Amanda!

Amanda,

Hey there kid, yep, I said it. That's what you are - a kid. Take it from an adult, you want to be a kid for as long as you can, being an adult isn't that great. There are bills to pay, people to please, responsibilities to uphold, it's tough work. It's not all about drinking, driving and living on your own so get that fantasy out of your head. I've decided to write you a letter which you can take to heart or not, which I wish that you would've. So please, sit back and listen... I mean it!

OK, first off, Stop trying to grow up too fast. You are only a kid for so long and I promise you, you will wish you would've savored every minute of it. Tell your parents you love them, every day, even if they piss you off to the point of no return. Your parents are some of the only people that will be there for you no matter what, forever, so try being a little bit nicer to them, eh? While we're on the subject of family, take time for your younger brother and sister. Take them to the park, read to them, play pretend even if you feel like a doofus, there will come a day when even they're too cool to do anything like that. Don't start dating too soon, you will have the rest of your life for romance and butterflies and rainbows - no need to rush, I promise you will grow up and meet the love of your life, oh and PS - it's VERY unlikely you think you've met him already, just a heads up. Take family trips and participate, don't sit off in the distance because you are 'over it'. Play games, make s'mores, and act silly, your family will not judge you and probably join in. Stop worrying about your weight and appearance, You. Are. Beautiful. There is no need to get all dolled up in sixth grade, those boys aren't gonna notice. Make memories, remember how certain things and people make you feel when you are happy and hold on for dear life to them. The world is so corrupt and you don't ever know who to trust, trust those memories. Act silly with your girlfriends, dance in the grocery store, paint your fingernails crazy colors and write notes back and forth - these may be friendships you are creating that will last your entire life.  Ask your grandparents to tell you their love story, and take notes, that's real loveBelieve in yourself, you've got a lot to offer and people will realize that when they meet you. Don't be self conscious, smile with your teeth, shake people's hands when you first meet them and make a lasting first impression. And last but not least, finish college, not for your parents, for you and your own future. You can do it, even if you don't know what 'it' is yet.


That's all I've got. Take it or leave it, but I would choose to take it. I know you may think you know everything, but trust me, you don't. Take it easy and enjoy it - life I mean. Don't want it to pass you by.

10 comments:

  1. oh wow. this made me tear up!! This is so real and so moving especially where I am right now in my life!! Amazing post ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this! i think we all could tell our kid selves some of this now.

    "I promise you will grow up and meet the love of your life, oh and PS - it's VERY unlikely you think you've met him already, just a heads up."

    this made me laugh ;) who would've thought ahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the sweetest thing, Amanda! Your advice is so perfect! My hubby and I were just talking the other day about how nice it would be to go back to being a kid. But then we realized we were eating candy for dinner and thought better of it;-) ha. I love that you say "you are beautiful." Its so hard to be a kid these days and if every girl or boy knew what they were worth it would be so much easier! Take care, love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very true! I've been thinking about growing up a lot and how I'll be done with school in two years and then on my own and I don't want to rush it! Life is sweet, one day at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Sounds similar to advice I would give myself.

    On an unrelated note, are you and Bryan still doing PX90? I haven't heard you mention it in awhile, and wondered how it was going? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you said it! Adulthood is pretty cool but it's for sure not candy and t.v every day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was inspiring - may have to sit down and give my adolescent self a shake up too! And for the record, from what I've read, you have turned out pretty great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sometimes, u seriously knock my socks off... :)

    ReplyDelete